Tuesday, July 2, 2013

two

                         2/19 and I feel dead. In the morning, we had life drawing. I always feel bad doing life drawing because whatever ends up on my page seems like an insult to the model. Like, they're doing a good deed for students and that's the best I've got. But anyways, I think I've gotten better at drawing since last summer but I've still got a long way to go. The exercises we did were a little different but I liked them. The one we did where we had to keep the page covered really forced me to observe the model and have my eyes and hand work together.
                       In the afternoon, I went to my design class. A third member was added to my group; her name is Sami and she's from Connecticut. We were sent back to our locations which were to serve as inspiration. We tried to get some textures but it was raining. We did get to sketch some objects that were found in the area and then we went to Whole Foods across the street to look at vegetables (the farmer's market wasn't there today). Once we returned to the class, we made mind maps. I'd never done a mind map before but I think I'll start doing them. We were quickly able to come up with a more clear idea for what we want our dress to look like by making the mind map. by the end of class and after talking to the instructor, we decided that our dress was not going to be made out of vegetables but that we should "find the essence of the leek." We want the dress to start structured and durable at the bodice, almost like a leek, but as it goes down in becomes looser, taking on characteristics of lettuce. We want to dress to embody an element that was mention a few times on our mind map, which was evolution. We want it to evolve as it grows.
                    Here's our mind map:

No comments:

Post a Comment